Monday, September 28, 2015

How Facts Backfire

In the Boston Globe, Joe Keohane wrote a summary of how our biases influence the new information we take in or fail to take in. These issues tend to polarize people, and, it turns out providing evidence can make people at both poles hold onto their conclusions more tightly. 

I have seen this occur before that no matter the evidence, facts, or opinions, people hold such firm views that nothing will ever influence them to change them. My brother is extremely defensive. My dad and him are similar with intelligence, but will argue over political views. The more and more my dad gives relays why his points are correct, the more my brother fires back with more to defend his own argument.

I personally cannot pinpoint a time where I changed a strong and firm opinion. This shows that Keohane's claim is valid and pertains to me and my behaviors. I always love to be right and to win so admitting that a belief I once had would be extremely difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment